Wednesday, June 08, 2005

My response to the game of literary blog tag:

Number of books I own:

About 1oo. I know that sounds like a paltry number, but, keep in mind that I am only a young man, twenty years old, intellectually ripe enough to want to read all the books I own and fiscally irresponsible to buy any more at the time being. But I have some great books. Quality literature, I tell you. And doesn't 1oo great books mean more than 5oo Nancy Drew's? Hmm? Does quality matter here?

Last 5 books I've bought:

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Michael Chabon
On the Road - Jack Kerouac
The Dharma Bums - Jack Kerouac
Basic Writings - Martin Heidegger
The Crying of Lot 49 - Thomas Pynchon

I borrowed Basic Writings from my uncle but, dammet, it's just too good to leave off the list. Phenomenological "seeing" is the new blue, my friend.

Last 5 books I've read:

The Closing of the American Mind - Allan Bloom
The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
Austerlitz - W.G. Sebald
Natural Right and History - Leo Strauss
Absalom, Absalom! - William Faulkner

You can track the intellectual heritage from Strauss to Bloom and totally call Bloom on plagiarism. Take that you polyglot!

5 books that mean a lot to me:

For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway
The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Republic of Plato (Bloom translation)
The Glass Bead Game - Herman Hesse
The Outsider - Albert Camus

I know, I know, The Outsider is a little cliche, but it resonates deep within me right now and I can't in good conscience leave it off my list. For Whom the Bell Tolls also happens to be my most cherished book, a first edition no less, and a more mature, poetic Hemingway speaks from its pages to the poet in me. Wow. That sounded a little gay.

2 Comments:

At 11:44 PM, Blogger Ms. Poshlust said...

Found your blog with the nifty "next blog" button. Read a lot of what you have - thought I'd pass along some suggestions. If you're a Dostoyevsky fan, pick up "The Idiot", "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Garcia Marquez is an all time favorite, and try anything by Haruki Murkami (I loved 'the elephant vanishes") for good measure. *smile* Happy reading.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger D. Harding said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I've read The Idiot, by the way, and I found it rather disappointing. I loved his musings about the man riding to his execution, derived from his own life as they are, and the ending was deliciously morbid. But I have to say I was pretty bored throughout. Karamazov, Crime and Punishment, and Notes from Underground remain my favourites.

I'll check out the other authors. Thanks for the visit - I appreciate it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home